Challenge Month! Planking Every day.
What’s up everyone,
It’s challenge time! I wanted to give you a little workout you can do every day that doesn’t require all that much time and can have a huge impact on your life, well-being, and make you stronger and more confident all at the same time.
I’m talking about the plank.
Easy right? It is, but its also hugely important. Planking promotes a strong core, which in turn carries over into almost all other aspects of life.
- Abdomen definition
- Protects your body (particularly your spine)
- Mood improvements
- Burn calories and increase metabolism
- Improves posture (like LOTS)
Those are good things right? So why aren’t you planking? Lets get started 🙂
How to plank:
- Get into a push up position with hands directly under shoulders.
- Here you can either choose to plank from your hands, or you can move down onto your elbows, depending on how difficult you want to make it.
- Keep your abs tight and imagine a line traveling down your spine (if I laid a PVC pipe on your back, it should make 3 points of contact: the back of your head, between your shoulder blades, and your butt).
- Ensure that your lower back does not cave inwards, nor does your butt stick up in the air.
- Go until you begin to lose good form or until you can’t hold it anymore.
- Don’t cheat! If your form starts to go, that’s your end point. Also don’t forget to breathe 😉
- Plank every day for 1 month, adding at least 1 second to your time every day.
- On day one, you go as long as you can go to get a baseline. From here you add 1 second every day (or more if you can!)
Day 1 – Testing day – Bob gets 30 seconds
Day 2 – 31 seconds
Day 3 – 32 seconds
Day 4 – 35 seconds (Bob was feeling ambitious)
Day 5 – 36 seconds
And on and on
Planks are good for you! So you should be doing them. Like yesterday. Ab pictures are encouraged, good luck 🙂
Let me know if you have any questions! Also if there is something else you would like me to write about, don’t hesitate to ask! I’m always open to suggestions.